10.28.2015

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han








Title: P.S. I Still Love You
Author: Jenny Han
Page count: 337 pages
Publishing date: May 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers  
My rating4 out of 5 stars!

Blurb:

Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.
She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.
When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?

In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.




The contract is over. No more games between Lara Jean and Peter. If they want to be a couple, they're going to have to be real this time. The thing is: can their relationship survive without the contract? Are their feelings actually real when the contract is void? 
I'm totally being honest when I say that Peter is SUCH an awesome character. This book would be nothing without Peter Kavinsky. He makes P.S. I Love You and P.S. I Still Love You as good as it is. I wouldn't love this book as much as I do if Peter wasn't in it. But Peter is and, alas, I'm madly in love with him. 
In P.S. I Still Love You, Lara Jean and Peter make up after the events of book one and they become a couple. The romantic lovey-dovey sweetness is short-lived, however, because Peter remains friends with his ex-girlfriend, Gen. Lara Jean can't seem to get over this and turns green with jealousy (not literally but wouldn't that be a helluva plot twist, huh?). And, of course, during this rocky period in their relationship Lara Jean becomes friends with one of the guys who received a love letter from her in the first book, John. 
It's pretty obvious that Peter is waaaay better for Lara Jean, though. Even with all of the trust issues that come with their relationship, Lara Jean and Peter just connect in a way that is so natural and simple. I love it when they're together, and I think that the arguments that they have only make them stronger. 
I have to admit that I don't blame Lara Jean's jealousy when it came to Peter's friendship with Gen. They hung out on the regular and he would often lie about where he was when he was with Gen. That's fishy even when Peter explains that there are tough times going on in Gen's life. I knew that there was nothing going on between Peter and Gen and that Peter was remaining loyal, but I can't help but admit that Gen is a total skeez and I wouldn't put it past her to make a move on him. I'd like to say that I would take the high road if I was Lara Jean and just let it go but, honestly, I would probably grow horns and breathe fire. 
This is because Peter is wonderfully amazing. He's just as charming in this book as he was in the first. He's sarcastic, rude, and a definite jerk sometimes but he doesn't claim to be someone he's not. And he has a side to him that only a few see. He's caring, sweet, and loyal to his close friends and family, and I know that he would do anything for them if he was able. Don't be fooled with his bad-boy attitude. He's a softy. Just a sexy softy. Now, saying all of this, he's not perfect. He's imperfect and that's what makes him beautiful. He's difficult, impulsive, and has a helluva temper but that's the best part. Jenny Han doesn't make him out to be this knight in shining armor that never does anything wrong. Peter is the perfect male lead because he DOES make mistakes. 
Lara Jean makes her mistakes, too. I think the last book had to do a lot with her trying to grow up and make something of herself. I think this book was about her finding herself. She's grown up a lot since the first book and she still had some learning to do in this one, but I believe that she spent much of this book trying to find what makes her happy and how to accept her feelings. She's not perfect by any means. She spends a large portion of this book jealous and unable to trust. I think this portrays half of the teenage girl population at some point. Most every girl feels insecure and unable to trust at some time in their life and I think this was just a way for Jenny Han to be honest about that. As the reader, we have to remember that Lara Jean is just a teenage girl. Hell, I made a lot of mistakes when I was a teenager in high school, and I sure don't expect Lara Jean to be perfect. I wanted her to make mistakes and bad judgments. Because that's real.  I don't want to read a book about a girl who makes no mistakes and is perfect 99.9% of the time. 




I really like the quote above because, for one, it gives insight to the way Lara Jean has matured throughout this book and, for two, it shows how honest she's being with herself. She realizes she's made mistakes. If she can make those mistakes right is another question but just owning up to her mistakes is something all in its own. 

As for Lara Jean and Peter's relationship, I really love them together. There is a chemistry between the two that is light-hearted and fun but can also become sexy and dangerous at the same time. They work well together, and I think that's because of their past together. They know each other's limitations on what works well for their relationship and what doesn't. There's never a boring moment when the two are together. Even when they're fighting it's explosive and powerful and heart-breakingly beautiful. John didn't stand a chance. I wouldn't even say that this book has a love triangle because Peter holds Lara Jean's heart and there's no competition that can change that. Peter is the love of Lara Jean's life and John can't step in between that no matter if he wants to or not. Hit the road, John, because you don't stand a chance (I am most definitely saying this in my southern twang).

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. I loved the character growth that Lara Jean and Peter experience and I love learning more about their relationship. They're absolutely great together, and I love the ending. *swoons* I don't think that there is going to be another book in this series (which kind of makes me sad) but if another is made I will not stand for another love interest for Lara Jean! Peter and Lara Jean are wonderful for each other and I will sob like a baby if Jenny Han changes that. 

Final thoughts: PETER K, I LOVE YOU.

Until next time, 

                

1 comment:

  1. There are things in life that will continuously motivate and inspire you. Some of these things are not even about successes or material wealth, but about trust, commitment, respect and dedication. For many, love is something that we aspire and hope for while marriage is some new chapter where other sub-chapters are about to grow. how to tell someone how you feel about them

    ReplyDelete