4.29.2016

Candidate by Rachel E. Carter

Title: Candidate
Author: Rachel E. Carter
Page count: 326
Date published: October 2015
Publisher: Clean Reads
Format: Ebook
My rating: 5 out of 5 stars!

Summary (from Goodreads):

Welcome to the Candidacy. Where dreams go to die. 

Twenty-year-old Ryiah is a black mage of Combat, but she is not the Black Mage. Yet. She’s had her eyes on the legendary robe for as long as she can remember, and in just one year she will have a chance at her country’s prestigious – and only – tourney for mages... Too bad she is going up against a certain non-heir. The one person she has yet to beat. 

Meanwhile Ry has a year to prove herself in her new role as a war mage and the prince’s betrothed. Neither is quite what she expected and complications arise on both fronts. War is on the horizon, and with so many enemies the kingdom of Jerar’s fate is more than ever at risk. 

The Candidacy finally arrives, but it’s only the beginning. Nothing can prepare her for what comes next.


After dwelling on this review for a few weeks, I decided that I'm going to boost my rating from 4 stars to 5 stars. During these few weeks as I reflected upon Candidate, I felt more and more pleased with the way it turned out - so much so that I re-read it. 

There is little that I didn't like about this book. Really the only thing that I didn't like was the back-and-forth of Ryiah and Darren's relationship. But, let's be honest, that's a part of what makes their relationship great. It's real. 

What I really enjoyed about Candidate:

- The action. As usual, Rachel E. Carter does not disappoint on this aspect. This book is action-packed, especially toward the end, and will have the reader biting their nails in anticipation for what's to come. The Candidacy is also in this book so you now that's gonna be wild. 

- The emotion. There is so much emotion in this book. The characters go through some awful things. They break down. They lose it. The intensity of their emotions in this book makes it special. I had chills during two different scenes in the book. 

- The romance. Okay, I KNOW I just said I didn't like their back and forth I-hate-you, I-love-you ways but I can't deny that I smile every time they have a scene together. They've been through so much together. They may bicker like old people and get angry too quickly, but I have to admit that I love the fiery nature they both have and the passion that consumes them when they're together. 

- The plot twists. Man, the last few chapters will have you wanting to cry, laugh, and scream. Beware. The ending is great. It's a cliffhanger (which I hate because I'm impatient.. thanks Rachel lol) but it'll have you craving the release of Last Stand

- New characters. The reader is introduced to new side characters like Paige. I really loved the dynamic relationships that the side characters make with Ryiah, Darren, and others. It brought a fun quality to the book that I didn't know was missing.

- You get to find out who the Black Mage is. Is it Ryiah? Is it Darren? 

Overall, a great book. I binge-read it, which is becoming a norm when I get my hands on Rachel's books. Personally, I think Candidate is my favorite book of the series so far. I can't wait to see what happens in the final book. I am anxiously awaiting its release date. 

Side note: I know that a lot of readers/reviewers get feisty when an author is rude to a reviewer for whatever reason. You absolutely don't have to worry about that with Rachel. She's sweet, funny, and genuinely cares about her readers and fan base. We've talked several times and she's been nothing but kind to me. I've never seen her act rude or mean to anyone in the book world. Just sayin'.

Until next time, 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment