11.09.2014

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K Rowling

The fourth installment in the popular Harry
Potter series by J.K Rowling.
Title: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Author: J.K Rowling
Page number(s): 734 pages
Publish date: Sept. 28, 2002
Publisher: Scholastic
My rating: 5/5 stars!


This is by far my favorite out of the series. While the other three books before this one lacked something, this one does not. 

I probably don't even need to write a review considering nearly everyone has read/knows about the Harry Potter series. It's popular worldwide. If someone hasn't heard about Harry Potter, they've been living in a remote cave somewhere. 

I will say this: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is not boring whatsoever. While the other books were slightly boring at times, this one made up for the others. In this book we've got Harry's studies, the Triwizard Tournament, the Yule ball, and a major fight with a certain somebody that leads to a Hogwarts student death.  While there were some slow areas, it was NEVER so boring that I wanted to stop reading it. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, even if it was a little on the long side. 

The characters, particularly Harry, Ron, and Hermione, were more mature and seemed to be able to handle obstacles without falling apart. Hermione has come a long way in my eyes as I used to think she was annoying and wished that she weren't in the series. Now, however, I think that Hermione is a very important character and I'm glad that she's in the books. I've also become really fond of Ron which is surprising because I didn't like him at all in the previous novels. I've gotten used to his personality and really like it. He's very sarcastic and funny, which I love. He's the perfect best friend for Harry. Harry himself is an amazing character and not just because he's the main protagonist. He's matured so much since the beginning of the books, and that makes me happy. 

What I loved about this book: the tournament. This was always my favorite in the movie, and I had a feeling it would be the same in the book. I was right. The tournament gets rid of any slow parts that would have been in this novel without it. It's really a great element to add to the plot, especially with how it all ties in at the end of the book. 

And the ending? I wanted to cry over the death of our fellow Hogwarts student. I won't give any names just in case you haven't read the books or watched the movies, but it's such a sad scene in both. I feel like, because of the ending, this book is the beginning into the increasingly darker themes in the later books. This is the turning point of Harry's battle with Lord Voldemort, and I think that is portrayed very well. 

Overall thoughts? This book is the best installment in the series so far. I enjoyed the plot, the characters, and the crazy plot twists that allow the ending to be so dramatic and so heartbreaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment