11.07.2014

Rite of Rejection by Sarah Negovetich

Love this cover!
3/5 stars.

Rite of Rejection by Sarah Negovetich brings something entirely different to the dystopian playing field. While it does have some of the same qualities that other novels do in the genre, Rite of Rejection has its own unique personality

The main character, Becca, is getting ready to become a part of society. All she has to do is go to the Acceptance and pass and then she'll be on her way to a new life. But her world crashes when she is Rejected. Taken away from her family and everything that she's ever known, Becca is thrown into the PIT, the place her country keeps its 'dangerous' citizens. 

Desperate to find a new life with what she's been given, she joins a group of PIT people. Now, somehow, Becca can start her life over. But everything changes when she finds out the secret the group is hiding: they have a plan to escape the PIT. Torn between right and wrong, a man who claims her and a man who is claimed, and her own feelings, Becca's life is about to be ripped in half once more... because someone is going to betray them all. 

I liked the premise of this story. It's different. Unique. I've been eager to read a unique dystopian-themed book for quite a while now and this book didn't disappoint. I like the idea of the PIT- while it's scary and creepy, it's also really interesting at the same time. 

I even liked Becca as a character (for the most part). However, there were times when she got on my nerves. I couldn't understand why she did some of the things she did, and I couldn't really relate with her. Still, she was a stronger main character than some of the others from previous series. 

As for why I gave this three stars, it's simple. The romance is what made this fall down in rankings. The romance was not believable. There was instant love. In no way is instant love relatable or even remotely interesting. Not only that, but there was also a love triangle. I am so sick of love triangles in young adult novels, and I was hoping that this book would be different. Sadly, it was not. Negovetich fell into the love triangle category along with everyone else. 

Still, because of the unique plot, I gave this three stars. I only wished that the romance could have been more realistic and not so fairytale-like. My overall thoughts? If you enjoy dystopian with love triangles, this book might be for you.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment